Hi
On 9/15/2010 12:24 PM, Ron Hawkins wrote:
Miklos,

By "the disk" I assume you mean the volume. How can you figure out how busy
a volume is?

Not a volume,  the complete system, all the DISK channel's
(if we can figure out this)
RMF does not report how busy a FICON channel is, only the FICON Channel MP.

What is the tool that reports FCP Channel busy and LUN busy on other
platforms.
I don't know if any tool can report this.

My colleagues want to get four nice charts about CPU , STORAGE , DISK and NET activity. On the other side, it has some sense to ask how active was the complete DISK or NETWORK system
in a period.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of
Miklos Szigetvari
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:27 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] Channel types

   On 9/15/2010 10:57 AM, R.S. wrote:
Miklos Szigetvari pisze:
      Hi

We would like to categorize the channels as in the Mainframe Concept
book

(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/basics/index.jsp?topic=/com.ib
m.
zos.znetwork/znetwork_74.htm)
CCW channel or Coupling channel or QDIO/OSA.
Can I make this from the channel type codes ?
In fact you just did it.

What do you want to achieve?
I'm asking, because there are different point of view:
CHPID type - as in HCD, i.e. CNC, FC, FCV, CTC, etc. A physical
channel can be defined as one of allowable types. For ESCON you have 4
choices.
Channel card type - i.e. FICON Express2, Express4, Express8 - all
those cards support same set of CHPID types.
Channel media - related to Channel card type.
CPC - machine model sometimes decides wht CHPID can be used, i.e. CFR
cannot be defined on z9, even if the same card do support CFR.

CCW channels:
Bus&Tag, ESCON, FICON (no-Express, Express, Express2,4,8)
CHPID: BL, BY, CTC, CNC, CVC, CBY, FC, FCP, FCP

CF link channels:
ISC(fiber optic 2-3 generations), ICB (copper, several incompatible
generations, ICB, ICB-3, ICB-4), PSIFB (Infiniband), IC (internal,
emulated).
CHPID: CFP, CFR, CFS, CBP, CBR, CBS, ICP, ICR, ICS, CIB

Network channels:
Variuos OSA cards, IQD - emulated.
CHPID: OSA, OSE, OSD, OSC, OSN, IQD (and OSM, OSX for z196)

Remark: I intentionally excluded channel types available in Multiprise
machines (EIO, DSD, ISD) and machines older than 9672 (IOC).

HTH
      Hi

Thank you very much.
      We want to say,  from the RMF  channel activity reports, that
    the DISK was active x% and the NETWORK was active y% in the last
period,  for a performance monitor tool from us.
(I feel it has not too many sense, but this tool exits on other
platforms ... )
  From the RMF I got the acronyms and channel types.