On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:37:09 -0500, Barbara Nitz <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote:

>Mark,
>
>>Some people mentioned RMF data to see the other partitions (be it RMF III
>>or SMF 70 records / post processor).  The ability for one LPAR's data to to
>>show up in other LPARs' SMF 70 records is a security option on the HMC for
>>that LPAR.   I've never worked in an environment where it was turned on,
>>but I assume if it was on for "SYSA" and if you ran an LPAR (CPU) RMF report
>>on "SYSB", you would never see nor know "SYSA" even existed on the CPC.
>
>Where is that documented? We don't have any security set up on the HMC
>(well, other than the logging on as sysprog/operator/whatever) that I know of
>(we also don't use tree view and I met with a lot of resistance when I
>requested BCPII to be configured for use on the HMC), and I am able to see all
>defined lpars just fine in the type70 records (I should know - I get to do the
>cpu usage graphics for all lpars and processor types per box).
>While it is entirely possible that something was turned on the HMC about 3
>hardware generations/boxes ago (before my time), I would like to know what
>that was, so I don't get caught flatfooted at some point in the future. It is
>certainly not documented anywhere here :-(
>
>Best regards, Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I'm not positive where it is documented without looking (which I'm not
going to do now, but you can), but I assume it is in the hardware manual
(PR/SM).     If you look at an image profile on the HMC there is a security
tab.  Under that tab there is an option called "Global performance data
control".  By default it is checked (on).

If you are a service provider and share your CPC(s) with multiple clients,
that is when you would want to turn it off.

I remember learning about the option on the first box I used LPARs
with (3090J I think), so it has been there as long as  PR/SM has been
around.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net