Allan

> AFAIK ANYNET is no longer supported.

This is one of those points that is very easy to discover from the on-line
manuals - just as the original question was, come to think of it - and, more
recently a "probably" for which the exact opposite is a "certainty". I may find
sufficient energy to expand on the latter later.

On the following bookshelf for z/OS V1R7, we still find the AnyNet feature
manuals:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/F1A1BK61

On the following bookshelf for z/OS V1R8, we find they have mysteriously
disappeared:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/F1A1BK81

Well, it's not *so* mysterious when we take the trouble to dip into the so-
called "z/OS Communications Server New Function Summary", Version 1
Release 8, GC31-8771-02, manual, we find the following ("new function"
indeed!):

<quote>

| 2.2.2.1 Current support considerations

| z/OS V1R8 Communications Server discontinues support of AnyNet®.
| AnyNet consists of two functions: SNA over IP, and Sockets over SNA.
| You can implement Enterprise Extender (EE) as the replacement for the
| SNA over IP function. There is no replacement for Sockets over SNA.

</quote>

>  Replaced w/Enterprise Extender

"Yes" and "no" as you can see above if you read it all.

Of course, if you rely on the following piece of mendacity, you will fall into
the
trap of imagining that AnyNet has been replaced in full:

<quote>

2.3.1.2 Future support considerations

Be aware of the following future support considerations and refer to z/OS
Migration for information about migration.

z/OS V1R7 Communications Server is planned to be the last release to support
AnyNet. After z/OS V1R7, the function will be removed from the product. You
can implement Enterprise Extender (EE) as the replacement for AnyNet.

</quote>

The manual authors do not seem to be able to read what they themselves
have written within the scope of one manual here. Definitely a double-bogey!

>> There is another one, i an ware of Anynet....whether it is used any more, I
dont know.

Which, being translated, is probably intended to say the following:

"There is another one (means of supplying an IP interface to z/OS
Communications Server) of which I am aware: AnyNet. Whether or not it is
used any more, I don't know."

Actually, what may have been in mind is that flavour of subset of AnyNet
products - which extend(ed) to many platforms, not just "MVS" - which
everyone - except the person exercising his fingertips at the moment! - tends
to overlook, namely the brilliant AnyNet Sockets over SNA which allows a
superb IP application - not actually the IP kernel - to use the superb SNA
network for "transport" rather than the ramshackle IP network. This is the
inherent characteristic of the Multiprotocol *Transport* Networking (MPTN)
architecture of which the AnyNet products, not limited to the z/OS platform,
are implementations.

So, in the last analysis, it's interesting to mention AnyNet and, by
implication,
MPTN, but no flavour of AnyNet is actually an implementation of an IP
interface.

Chris Mason