This "idea" was inspired by the recent posts about the IEFU8n SMF exits.
Writing and debugging this type of exit can require a good level of knowledge
and skill. So what occurred to me is a new facility for receiving SMF records
at/near generation time. It could not be used to modify the records or to say
"no, don't write it". It would be simply for "I need to look at the SMF data in
near real time in order to do something else."

I apologize for the following being so vague and poorly written.

What this would consist of is a way to register a need for a copy of the SMF
data. This request would result in a local data space being created for the
address space doing the request. Control blocks would be created in this data
space. A copy of the SMF record would be made in this data space and chained
into the control blocks. The simpliest form of the API would simply copy all
SMF records into this data space as they are generated. If the data space fills
up, then records are lost. A more advanced form of the request would have a way
to specify a type of filter. This filter would only copy SMF records which had
specific values in specific fields. I don't know all the filters, but was
thinking of filters on fields in the SMF header such as SMFRTY, SMFSID, SMFSSI,
and SMFSTY. Of course, their needs to be a way to process this data. So, some
variations could be: POST an ECB; schedule an IRB on the TCB which is using the
API, passing a pointer to the record; schedule a loca!
 l SRB into the address space with a pointer to the record; ??? . In the POST
an ECB case, there would be an API to dequeue the next record. An RC would
indicate no more records so the dequeue could be in a loop. When no more
records, the code could do whatever and eventually the ECB would be posted
again. For a SYNCHRONOUS request, the API could be set up so that a WAIT is
automatically done until another record is available.

Would such an API be generally useful to the community? Or am I off in the
parking lot again?

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-691-6183 cell