McKown, John wrote:

>This "idea" was inspired by the recent posts about the IEFU8n SMF exits.

[ ... snipped for brevity for posting here ... ]

>Would such an API be generally useful to the community? Or am I off in the
parking lot again?

Good idea, if you can give your records to be selected via a command (T
SMFJOHN=xx  ;-D ) or something like that, I would be in for it.

Perhaps a new type of subsystem? Or if you could use XCF and use then
something to extract SMF records the same way as LOGREC records?

Anyway, for message processing (on consoles/syslog), I know you can
squeeze some message processors somewhere to intercept/rewrite messages.
I imagine you could perhaps do the same for other type of data, like SMF.

Rest assure, for me you have parked your idea in an excellent place! ;-D
This is what IBM-MAIN is for: sharing ideas to be used or shot down... ;-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht