From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Greg Shirey
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 8:35 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: COBOL/CICS Integrated Translator

We recently started using the Integrated Translator for our CICS/COBOL
programs and came across something interesting.  We apparently have some
programs where some EXEC CICS statements start in Area A - the columns
between 8 and 11 - and these programs had always successfully
translated/compiled.  Now, they fail to compile with the integrated
translator.

Interestingly, they fail on the END-EXEC statement which also starts in Area
A but not the EXEC CICS statement.

We reported the behavior to IBM and they ran some tests and confirmed what
we were seeing.

'With the CICS CoProcessor, I get no message for the EXEC CICS coded in col
8-11:

IGYPS0009-E  "END-EXEC" should not begin in area"A".  It was processed as if
found in area "B".

This causes RC=8 for the compilation.

However, using the separate translator, you get:

DFH7278I  W  000nn   EXEC COMMAND SHOULD NOT BEGIN IN AREA A. IT WAS
PROCESSED AS IF FOUND IN AREA B.

Since this is a warning, the Precompiler ends with RC=4.

The EXEC CICS statement is processed and the original becomes a comment, so
it does not cause a compiler error.
This is not documented in either the Enterprise COBOL Programming Guide or
Migration Guide and we are reviewing
that.'

I believe they are telling me that they are going to update the
documentation so that this behavior is documented, but I'm thinking that
this violates that old Principle of Least Astonishment rule.  Either both
the EXEC and the END-EXEC statements should be disallowed in Area A, or the
END-EXEC should be treated like a comment so the compile is successful as
before.

Does that sound unreasonable?

Thanks
Greg Shirey