There is no requirement for DB2 that I'm aware of for WAS V5 and probably
not for V6 as well. There was a somewhat of a requirement in WAS V4 but we
got around that by going to lightweight or 3.5 compatibility mode under
V4. I seem to remember a lot of discussion prior to GA for V4 where some
were not happy that there was a stringent requirement for DB2. I guess IBM
not only heard the crying but did something about it.

Tom Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
11/10/2005 02:17 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
WebSphere AS -- DB2 required?

Some of our clients' programmers are interested in WAS as an alternative
to disparate distributed platforms for deploying web applications, but
their managers are put off by the requirement for DB2.  What features of
WAS actually require DB2, or to put it another way, to what extent can
WAS be used productively for web application development WITHOUT DB2?

Thanks in advance,
Tom Sims

Btw, they have been trained in the jargon, to the extent that the
programmers are really interested in the application services, not just
the HTTP server.