Charlie,

16x5x27998=2MB, so it looks to me like someone has already bumped your BUFNO
or Blksize!

Lots of ways to skin a cat - If the files are all different sizes then I
would set BUFNO=1 for the smaller files, so there will be minimum impact on
performance.

Someone mentioned striping using more storage, but I understand that B/QSAM
buffers with Extended Format datasets go above the line. If so, would it
help to convert the files to Extended Format?

Finally, you account for 3.5MB of Region. I assume you have a Region of
8-12MB available so what is using the other 4-8MB?

Ron