R.S. wrote:

Demagoguery.

Er, pardon??

I can put my Winodows doc (I could if I had any) on *another PC*. I have bunch of PCs in my shop, and even at home.
I don't have too many mainframe CPCs, do you ?

I remember pain in the **s, when, after POR, all the systems were un-IPLable. Co-worker updated IEASYS on each LPAR, and forgot the comma.
I had documentation on PC near the console. That saved us.
In case of PC failure (I had several), I simply take another PC.
[...]

We were discussing best practices for accessing doc under normal conditions, not about planning for the worst case scenario. My plans for such a disaster include having the z/OS 1.7 DVD (SK3T-4271-15) in my office drawer. Even if we lose power completely, I can read it on my laptop! FWIW, I keep certain "key" books on my laptop's hard disk as well.

And, in the case of z/OS, I want to retain the option of reading the doc directly from a TSO/E session.

Well, your choice. I prefer GUI navigation, but what's most important, I often need doco, when I'm in trouble: Logged on, and don't know what to do next. I simply choose another window on my PC, it's better than navigate on TSO to browse manual. Yes, I know I can have many screen in ISPF. I still want my Windows Bookreader.

This just doesn't make sense. Nobody ever suggested prohibiting you from keeping a copy of any doc you want to have on your PC. My comments are directed toward managing a consolidated documentation repository in a robust a corporate infrastructure. z/OS does a fantastic job of providing this functionality across the Enterprise. That's not demagoguery. It's fact.

| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
| Phoenix Software International | Tel: (310) 338-0400 x318       |
| 5200 W Century Blvd, Suite 800 | Fax: (310) 338-0801            |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |