Flippancies aside, Mr Engleberger's suggestion that duplicate sort records can
be eliminated in a DFSORT E35 routine--One can be written in assembly language,
in C, in PL/I, or even in, say, COBOL--is an entirely viable and appropriate
one.

I continue, however, to be puzzled by the notion of duplicate SMF records.
Record types that contain some of the same information in a succession of
records written are clearly possible, even frequent; but identical SMF
timestamps are outside my experience (except for the rare STCK cases that the
STCKE programmable field now addresses and eliminates,. which could be but have
never in my own experience been records of the same SMF type).

In any case 'duplicates', however Mr Tsui wishes to define them, can be
eliminated readily in an E35 routine, which can and should report on its
actions, outputting a multinomial EFD of the numbers of duplicate records it
encounters and eliminates (so many pairs, so many triples, etc., and a total).

John Gilmore Ashland, MA 01721-1817 USA