Art (and Cheryl)

> Note that somehow the "." became part of the url in Cheryl's note.

Probably because she typed it! We are all taught that a full stop - called
a "period" in some geographies, in others a "point final" and so on - is,
unlike a
preposition as Winston Churchill reminded us, a proper thing to end a sentence
with. So Cheryl probably simply followed a well-established habit.

I find the best way to present an URL in a post is to put it, all by itself, on
separate line - and resist the temptation to add a full stop.

There is also the opportunity in this case to mention that simply copying the
URL as found in the browser field is not necessarily "best practice". Following
a "?" or "/" there may be some unnecessary characters possibly related to how
the page was found. Providing the minimum necessary character string should
be habitual even if it might need a bit of experimentation in order to discover
precisely what that is. Examples of what can be removed are "?Open", as
here, and "/CCONTENTS ...". One benefit of this can be that the URL
characters may no longer[1] need more than one line in order to be presented.

Chris Mason

[1] I really need to give up this punning habit!