Dave

It appears that "localhost" is conventionally mapped to 127.0.0.1 by the name
server. If suddenly this mapping no longer seems to operate, it looks like
someone has messed about with your name server and somehow lost the
statements which perform this mapping.

This is what I happen to have in a document I put together for a customer
long ago, 2001, concerning how to put a name server together - as written by
someone who knew practically nothing - perhaps learnt just a little then - and
now is again back to knowing practically nothing - about name servers!

<quote>

/u/u80158/named.lbk – Loopback File

0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA testns.testplex x...@x.
 ( 1 10800 3600 604800 86400 )
                        IN NS  t1.testplex.xxx.yy.be.
1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR localhost.

The Loopback file has the same structure as the Data File. The domain is now
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. and not testns.testplex.xxx.yy.be. .

PTR

An IN PTR entry provides a mapping between an IP address in the special
domain name format and a name. It is recommended always to have an entry
for the name “localhost” mapping to IP address “127.0.0.1”.

Note: Why an IN PTR entry is required rather than using an IN A entry is
something of a name server mystery! It can be appreciated that the special
representation of (partial) IP addresses is used in the same context as names
(which use IN A entries) in SOA entries.

</quote>

There is also a statement

localhost IN A     127.0.0.1

in the "Forward or Data File".

Obviously, the whole document is needed to even start to work out how a
name server is constructed and where the localhost/127.0.0.1 mapping fits
into the whole structure.

Chris Mason