Hi,

has caused us extra work in the
past (we use IDs of 3-8 characters across the institution, but the mainframe

can't use the institutional IDs in part because of this limitation)"

This is not a mainframe limitation, and has nothing to do with job names. (I
believe VM Userids can be 8 characters.)

The RACF Userid field itself caters for 8 characters.

I think this issue has been covered in the archive, and the culprit for
where we are today is TSO itself, and its pre-RACF reliance in SYS1.UADS,

My understanding is that as with RACF's ability to support different
segments for different services, Userids in UADS had a similar capability
but it was dependent upon the last digit of the security name and hence
Userids could only be 7 characters for that reason.

Kind Regards - Terry

Director
KMS-IT Limited
228 Abbeydale Road South
Dore
Sheffield
S17 3LA
UK

Reg : 3767263

Outgoing e-mails have been scanned, but it is the recipients responsibility
to ensure their anti-virus software is up to date.