Perhaps blinders :) I have always seen stems as the part before the
period and the part after the single, one and only period.

Perhaps I'm trying to solve a non-existent problem due to my lack of
Rexx experience.

Yes, it seems I missed the section on Compound symbols (2.4.3) in the
z/OS 1.11 version. :)

> BTW, you'll find it easier to blend unnoticed among the Rexx
> experts if you remember that Rexx's boolean values are
> '1' and '0' and use those in place of 'YES' and 'NO'.

I certainly don't claim full knowledge of Rexx and appreciate your help.
In this almost 1 sysprog shop, I rarely have time to become "expert" at
on any z/OS subject before the next "issue" arises :(
In reading the above noted section, I think I should start thinking of
symbols and not classic variables.