On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:59:27 +0200, Binyamin Dissen
<bdis...@dissensoftware.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:42:13 -0600 Elardus Engelbrecht
><elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:
>
>:>Kelman, Tom wrote:
>
>:>>We have it set up via the IEFU29 exit to submit a started task to dump the
>:>MAN file when a switch takes place.  I do believe that this is the common
>:>process.
>
>:>While it is a common process to start dumping when a switch takes place, we
>:>here are making use of an automation package to pickup the message(s) and
>:>kick off a job (or STC) to relieve the MANx datasets of their data.
>
>:>Question: Why using an IEFU29 exit? Is it better than using Automation?
>
>U29 is automation, and it is much better as it reacts to the event, SMF
>dataset being full, rather than the report of an event (WTO that an SMF
>dataset is full).

I wouldn't say that makes it much better or really any better.   What I think
makes IEFU29 better is that it is free and doesn't rely on automation software
running (even if the automation software was free).   For example, some
of my sandbox LPARs don't have any automation running.

One thing automation can do that IEFU29 can't is dump full MANx data sets
at IPL time that may have switched as you were shutting down.    In our
production LPARs, this is taken care of when the SMFDUMP program runs
each night since it does a switch and dumps all MANx data sets that are
full.   In my sandbox LPARs, I use SMFDUMP at IPL time only, but it
"shares" the same proc as my normal SMFDUMP started via IEFU29.

In COMMNDxx used at IPL, it is started as "S SMFDUMP,ALL=TRUE"
(I think I've posted this example before)

//SMFDUMP PROC MAN='X',ALL=FALSE
//*
//* THIS PROC IS NORMALLY STARTED VIA IEFU29 SMF EXIT WHEN AN
//* SMF DATA SET SWITCH OCCURS (ONLY THE FIRST STEP RUNS):
//*    S SMFDUMP,MAN=SMF.DATA.SET.NAME
//*
//* AT IPL TIME IS IS STARTED AS FOLLOWS TO RUN THE SMFDUMP
//* PROGRAM TO ENSURE ALL FULL SYS1.MANX DATA SETS ARE DUMPED:
//*    S SMFDUMP,ALL=TRUE
//*
//TESTEXEC EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//*
//****************************************************************
//TESTONE  IF (TESTEXEC.RUN NE &ALL) THEN
//****************************************************************
//DUMPONE  EXEC PGM=IFASMFDP,TIME=1440
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DUMPIN   DD DSN=&MAN,DISP=SHR
//DUMPOUT  DD DSN=SYS3.&SYSNAME..SMF(+1),DISP=(,CATLG),
//     DCB=(SYS1.MODEL,LRECL=X,BLKSIZE=32756,RECFM=VBS),UNIT=SYSDA,
//     SPACE=(CYL,(100,100),RLSE),MGMTCLAS=R2
//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
//         ENDIF
//****************************************************************
//TESTALL  IF (TESTEXEC.RUN EQ &ALL) THEN
//DUMPALL  EXEC PGM=SMFDUMP,TIME=1440
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DUMPOUT  DD DSN=SYS3.&SYSNAME..SMF(+1),DISP=(,CATLG),
//     DCB=(SYS1.MODEL,LRECL=X,BLKSIZE=32756,RECFM=VBS),UNIT=SYSDA,
//     SPACE=(CYL,(100,100),RLSE),MGMTCLAS=R2
//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
//         ENDIF

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net