John:
Your ideas are great.
Sign me in.
We sure need those environments from Rexx.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM, McKown, John <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com
> wrote:

> There are a number of environments for REXX which are accessed via the
> "ADDRESS" command. Eg: ADDRESS TSO ; ADDRESS SDSF; ADDRESS SYSCALL; ADDRESS
> ISPEXEC; ADDRESS ISREDIT. So, I my mind was wandering around without a
> keeper the other day and started thinking about what other environments
> might be nice to have available. Some of these may already exist as they
> would be in envirnoments not available at my shop. But I was wonder what
> others might thing of them.
>
> The first one was one I can really get into: ADDRESS FTP. This would make
> scripting FTP sessions much easier. Some examples might be:
>
> RC=FTPCALLS('ON ')
> IF RC <> 0 THEN DO
>    SAY "COULD NOT SET UP FTP ENVIRONMENT. RC="RC
>    /* OTHER FEEDBACK ??? */
>    EXIT 16
> END
> ADDRESS FTP
> "OPEN SERVER" /* GET USERID AND PASSWORD FROM DD:NETRC */
> "LS" /* LIST THE FILES */
> "CD /Some/subdir/ectory"
> "lcd 'HLQ' "
> "ascii"
> "put REST.OF.DSN(0) remote.File.txt"
> "lcd /some/unix/subdirectory"
> "get remote.file.txt"
> "close"
> RC=FTPCALLS('OFF') /* shutdown ftp client software */
>
> Another might be ADDRESS SSH which would be similar, but would connect to a
> remoter SSH server and send the commands to the remote SSH shell for
> execution. Note that this was inspired by Dovetailed Technologies' excellent
> products for doing remote commands via SSH from z/OS batch jobs.
>
> How about ADDRESS SFTP to match the ADDRESS FTP?
>
> Other thoughts: ADDRESS CICS to send CICS requests via EXCI to a CICS
> region. ADDRESS IMS, ADDRESS DB2?? These may already exist for all I know -
> I'm quite ignorant.
>
> Am I overlooking something? Have I inspired anyone? Or am I whistling in
> the wind?
>
> John McKown
> Systems Engineer IV
> IT
>
> Administrative Services Group
>
> HealthMarkets(r)
>
> 9151 Boulevard 26 * N. Richland Hills * TX 76010
> (817) 255-3225 phone *
> john.mck...@healthmarkets.com * www.HealthMarkets.com
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential or
> proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten and
> issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The Chesapeake
> Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of
> TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM

When God wishes to punish us, he answers our prayers.

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

"I am as you, in you, for you. One as you in all, as all, forever. My call
is your call."