On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:53:40 -0500, zMan wrote:

>Editors are religion, this entire discussion might should belong in
>alt.theology, but I have to admit I'm surprised that anyone likes SPF
>EDIT over XEDIT, simply because there's very little in SPF EDIT that
>you can't also do in XEDIT, and a lot more.
>
>Perhaps the antipathy comes from years of programming into the tips of
>the fingers that "A" means "After", not "Add", "FIND" instead of
>"LOCATE", and the like. It's always surprised me that XEDIT and SPF
>EDIT were so similar yet had so many of these (ultimately) trivial
>differences.

Moving from SPF EDIT to XEDIT, I defined prefix macros/synonyms
for these.

>Of course, in XEDIT you can put synonyms in your PROFILE to make it
>work very much like SPF EDIT...the opposite of which (I have to point
>out) you cannot do.

The one thing that infuriates me about XEDIT is its insistence
that any successful LOCATE scroll to place the target at a fixed
positon on the screen (combined with not reporting "no further
occurrences found", but merely wrapping to the beginning) Perhaps
XEDIT has got better in a few decades.  But then I spent countless
man hours implementing PDF-like behavior with macros on ENTER and
various other keys.  And implementing "scroll to CURSOR".

Moving back to PDF EDIT primarily (when I can't avoid using a
mainframe editor), I recognized these efforts as a massive waste
of time.  I've left PDF alone.  My chief complaint is ergonomic:
Instead of XEDIT's:

    /foo bar<ENTER>

I'm required to type:

    f 'foo bar'<ENTER>

... three needless keystrokes.  Designers should recognize how
often such cliches will be performed and optimize them mercilessly
This is a rare instance where I prize brevity over lucidity.
(Otherwise, look at my scripts: I usen FIND, not F; ALLOCATE,
not ALLOC; TRANSMIT, not XMIT; I supply the optional adverbs in
CMS commands; etc.)

-- gil