On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Tom Duerbusch <duerbus...@stlouiscity.com>
wrote:
> Ok, I've reread the announcement letter.

> I see my confusion...

> The z/196 supports Power Blades.

> And Power Blades support i5 (the operating system formerly known as i5.OS or
> OS/400).

> It doesn't mean that z/196 has the support for the i5 OS.

> Which is kind of strange.

> Is this a licensing issue where IBM couldn't get a license for i5 to run on
> the z/196?  Different divisions have their own chiefs....

> Or is it that there is some emulation involved with running i5 on POWER that
> isn't available on the z/196?

> Or is it that there are some device drivers, performance metrics that can't
> be obtained, or something, that means i5 isn't available for production, at
> this time?

> Oh well....
> I guess that is why there hasn't been any chatter on the forums about this.

I doubt very much that it's any of these, and I don't actually find it strange.
The big wins are Linux and Windows, not i. This is the first release, and
nobody really knows whether zBX will take off or what. The worst possible
result would be that zBX were to wind up with one i customer (or only a few):
the support costs etc. would be a disaster (ObAnecdote: a vendor I worked for
had a product with ONE customer. Every call was a fire-drill; they probably
lost money on that one in the end.)

So doing the dev etc. for i on zBX makes no sense until zBX is self-supporting.
And certainly not until after Windows is supported.

P.S. "z196". It's hardware, no slash.
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III