From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu]on
Behalf Of Darth Keller
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: CA1, tape pooling, and SMS controlled Libraries

We've recently installed an HDS MDL.  In the course of the installation,
we decided we wanted to stage things so that down the road we can do
remote replication of tape.  Basically we don't intend to replicate the
entire library - we'll replicate tapes which have been identified as
needing off-site vaulting.  We've done this by implementing CA1
sub-pooling which allows us to direct a sub-set of datasets to a specific
range of tape volsers.  The volser's to be vaulted all start with the
first character of 'V" and the sub-pool is named "DRVAULT".

The intention is that down the road at some point, we'll have another MDL
at a remote site and we'll use 'magic' HDS functionality to replicate the
"V" volumes to the remote MDL.

This has been running successfully since late July.  However, we've
recently had 2 different jobs abend because it appears that CA1 is calling
for a tape from the wrong aub-pool.  The job is re-submitted approx. 15
minutes later and runs successfully - no changes to the job, no changes to
the CA1 NSM table, no changes to the MDL in the 15 minute interval.

This is what the messages look like when it runs successfully:

*IEC501A M 841C,PRIVAT,SL,COMP,jobname,
*TMS002  IEC501A M 841C,DRVAULT,SL,COMP
 IECTMS9 841C,V95538,jobname,OUTFILE ,

The is the sequence of messages when it runs amok:

*IEC501A M 8401,PRIVAT,SL,COMP,jobname,
*TMS001  IEC501A M 8401,PRIVAT,SL,COMP,jobname,
 IECTMS3 8401,M33439,IS NOT SCRTCH (80)
 IEC518I SOFTWARE ERRSTAT: REJTMS   8401,M33439,SL,jobname,

So we opened an issue with CA1 & got the following response:
   "Since you have this defined as a manual tape library subpooling is not
supported.  CA1 subpooling is NOT supported with IBM SMS-managed tape
libraries (ATL or
MTL)."

I find this response interesting as I'm not seeing how an SMS Library
comes into play in this case -  the library is actually returning a
scratch tape from the pool CA1 is requesting - for some reason, it appears
to me that CA1 is sometimes requesting the wrong sub-pool.

So my question is anyone else using CA1 sub-pooling and SMS-managed tape
libraries?
thanks - dd keller