>The same thing happened with 370 to XA, and probably with revolutions in
previous versions (I wasn't there for them).

Actually it wasn't the same, since the size of the registers/PSW didn't
change during that entire period.  Therefore, while their usage changed,
there were no
Issues related to storing such values.  Changing the displacements and
layout of control blocks is a major departure and seems virtually impossible
to maintain any kind of downward compatibility once such a change is made.

>We were still struggling with VSCR long after MVS/XA was GA.

One problem was the inability of applications to exploit 31-bit, so VSCR
continued far longer than it needed to.  This isn't the case in z/OS.
Despite the caveat of claiming that we'll never need that much storage, the
reality is that 2GB is a phenomenally large amount of storage for executable
code. So, other than consuming it in memory residency requirements, it is
not something there is a pressing need to change.

Adam