On 12/4/2010 1:37 PM, Ted MacNEIL wrote:
In 1981, my first job, we printed the IPL instructions and
got into trouble with management because the documentation
was online (on the mainframe). My question was: "How do we
read the IPL instructions when/if the mainframe was down?"

You should have explained to management that there is this wonderful new-fangled device called a printer. I used Wylbur to maintain our documentation, and a printed copy was available in the operator's log book (next to console), and distributed to management. Considering reliability of PC disks (especially the early ones), I'd rather keep stuff on the mainframe.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT