While we're on the subject of things in JCL that make me sigh, I coded in a
test job //SYSLIB DD DDNAME=FOO where there was (inadvertently) no //FOO DD.

The C library fopen() gave me a good file descriptor and no indication of an
error on fopen("DD:SYSLIB(BAR)", mode)

Not what I had expected. Took a couple of hours to find.

Reads generate an immediate EOF kind of like DUMMY, but fldata() does not
return a DSNAME of NULLFILE.

I'm trying to figure out how to recognize the condition it. I *need* to be
able to recognize this situation and not think I have a good SYSLIB and
member. Fldata() gives me a zero-length DSNAME, but it does the same thing
on //SYSIN DD *, so that is not a good test by itself. Trying not to make
this the most convoluted test in the world.

Charles