> :>The "quick post" approach of using CS to set the post bit of a
not-waiting
> :>ECB is a fully valid, documented approach.
>
> :>Of course it is extremely important to do it using the right key and
> :>have some reason to believe that the storage you are trying to update
has
> :>not been freed (and potentially re-obtained by a different job)
>
> :>This goes to why, in many cases, XM Post is not safe, as it is "POST
by
> :>ASID" and ASIDs can be reused, and, even within an ASID that is an
> :>initiator, a job could end and another start. Since "POST by STOKEN
with
> :>TCBTOKEN" is not available, you need to do this yourself, unless you
know
> :>that the target ASID cannot terminate (hence its STOKEN cannot change)
and
> :>that it is not an initiator (such that the old job could end and a new
job
> :>could start).
>
> :>The proper protocol includes
> :>-- capturing the ECB owner's STOKEN
> :>-- capturing the ECB owner's TCBTOKEN (could be any task that is
expected
> :>to have the same persistence characteristics of the ECB, such as the
> :>ASCBXTCB task when the job is running
> :>-- scheduling an SRB with STOKEN to the poster's ASID, passing the
TTOKEN
> :>and the key to use
> :>-- within the SRB:
> :>-- obtaining the local lock
> :>-- using the TCBTOKEN service to validate that the task is still OK
> :>-- issuing branch-entry post
> :>-- releasing the local lock
>
> Are you implying that one should open an APAR against XM POST as an
integrity
> exposure?

  No.  We are saying that XM POST requires that you serialize against
termination of the target address space across the call to XM POST,
and you serialize against the ECB storage being freed from the time
that XM POST is called all the way to the asynchronous completion of the
XM POST SRB.  If, for example, you are XM POSTing an ECB which never
gets freed in a non-memtermable address space, then these
requirements are easily met.  For more fluid cases, these requirements
may be more difficult (or impossible) to meet.

  PAUSE/RELEASE is designed to avoid these kinds of issues.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY