There are several situations where I'd like to have a program put a message in another job's joblog (JESMSGLG), e.g. to let people interested in that job know that something was done that affected it.

I've been through the z/OS and JES2 macro guides and haven't yet been able to find anything that seems to do what I want. I then thought that maybe issuing a " $dm <jobid>,'<msg>' " command from a program might work. However when manually issuing the $dm command (via a "/$dm ..." from within SDSF) I'm getting a peculiar result - the message doesn't appear on the job's log until after I cause another message to be displayed by that job.

To give an example - if I issue a " $dm 'cicsabc','test msg' ", I get an "OK" response from JES2 but nothing shows up on the CICSABC job log. If I then cause CICS to send a message, e.g. via a "f cicsabc,inq vtam", then I see my message appear on CICSABC's job log (in the format " MSG FROM OPER: 'TEST MSG' "), followed by the CICS response to my "inq vtam" request. I've just used a CICS region as an example - I see the same behavior with other region types too.

So my questions are:
1. Does anyone know of a better way to put a message in another job's job log? 2. If a $dm command is the best option, does anyone know how to make the message appear immediately?

Thanks in advance,
James Phillips