Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
At 08:22 -0500 on 01/08/2011, Bob Rutledge wrote about Re: can I dynamically increase tso size:

Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
At 15:13 -0500 on 01/07/2011, Bob Rutledge wrote about Re: can I dynamically increase tso size:

Krishnan wrote:
Hi All

I am having a similar problem. I am unable to edit a dataset and instead am getting the 'browse substituted message'

The ISPF edit was attempted for a dataset with following characteristics

- RECFM=VB, LRECL=5000. - DSORG=PS
- BLOCKSIZE=27998
- It's total size is 31MB and has 1003372 records

TSO regions size is max - 2096128 specified in the login screen

Tried again by choosing the option - Preserve VB record length, but did not help

ISPF Edit assumes it will need LRECL bytes for each record when it reads your dataset into memory. Even ignoring overhead (links in memory), 5000 * 1003372 isn't going to fit.

Bob

That is only true if the RECFM is FB. Since it is VB the 5000 is the maximum record size only. It does not mean that all the records are 5000 bytes long. Given that the file size is 31MB (32505856) and there are 1003372 records, the average record size is 33 bytes including the record length. Given the region size mentioned (which I assume is in K not bytes) there should be more than enough room for the file in memory.

Try it.

Or search the archives of ISPF-L where you will find...

"The amount of storage required by the ISPF editor approximates to the
following equation:

(Number of records * (40 + record length))

Note that sites can limit the amount of storage available to ISPF edit/view
users through the MAXIMUM_STORAGE_ALLOWED_FOR_EDIT setting in the ISPF
configuration table. The default for this setting is 0, which allows edit
to use as much storage as is available.

Regards, Peter

Peter Van Dyke
ISPF"

Bob

That formula seems to assume RECFM=FB. Since the RECFM is VB, the formula would seem to me to actually be (Number of records*40) + File-Size. Since the average file size is 33 bytes not 5000 bytes, that FB formula yields 70MB (which is also what my version yields).

Here's an example, admittedly a pathological one:

- Allocate a dataset RECFM=VB, LRECL=27000

- Populate it with 75,000 5-byte records (one data byte)

You'll end up with a seven-track dataset which is too big for the ISPF editor.

Bob