Hmmm...  this version would avoid possible S0C4 in the general case:

*
CnvrtHex DS    0H
         MVC   ArgCopy,0(R1)
         UNPK  WorkArea(9),ArgCopy(5)
         TR    WorkArea,=C'0123456789ABCDEF'-240
         LA    R1,WorkArea
         BR    R14
*
ArgCopy  DS    CL4
WorkArea DS    CL8        "Unpacked" hex
         DS    CL1        Garbage byte for UNPK

At 04:25 PM 11/21/2005, I wrote:

>I didn't see the original post (was it sent to the listserv?) but
>here's how I convert "internal hex" to "external hex" in assembler.
>It shouldn't be too hard to get COBOL to do the same kind of thing:
>
>*  At entry, R1 contains the address of a 4-byte field to be
>*  converted to external hex.  At exit, R1 contains the address
>*  of the 8-byte return value.
>*
>CnvrtHex DS    0H
>         UNPK  WorkArea(9),0(5,R1)
>         TR    WorkArea,=C'0123456789ABCDEF'-240
>         LA    R1,WorkArea
>         BR    R14
>*
>WorkArea DS    CL8        "Unpacked" hex
>         DS    CL1        Garbage byte for UNPK

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.