From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Ricc Harding
Sent: 12 January 2011 17:44
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: DLF - DLFCLASS Using DLF for PDS data?

Graham; Yes, it could be converted to a PDSE.

It does not appear that even VLF can be used "simply" by creating a class
for the object and then activating that parmlib member. It appears that the
application must be modified to use the VLF macros to define and connect to
the object.

It is vendor product code that is accessing the dataset so changing code is
not possible. I am assuming from that sparse response on this list that
VLF/DLF expertise is still being "grown".

An interesting, funny, sidelight is one of their previous system programmers
had put SYS1.IMAGELIB in the linklist "to take advantage of the VLF/LLA
performance improvement. I don't have any data as to whether there were any
actual performance improvements for SYS1.IMAGELIB doing this.

I would be able to tell in one day if there were improvements doing this for
the customer PDS (and no it does not contain any executable code).

I have read everything that is available not on VLF install and planning and
it is still ambiguous on if it can be used to cache datasets for general
across the board access.

any info appreciated.