From:   Fred Kaptein <fred.kapt...@hp.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   01/18/2011 09:40 AM
Subject:        GDG Question
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

Hello,

I have a question on GDGs
We have a GDG data set GDG.DSNAME.G0001V00 and append data into
this data set throughout the day.

We then run a batch job where we do the following:
1. Read GDG.DSNAME(0)
2. Delete GDG.DSNAME(0) as follows
    //DELETE   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
    //DD1        DD DSN=GDG.DSNAME(0),
    //             DISP=(OLD,DELETE,DELETE)
3. Allocate a new GDG.DSNAME(+1) as
    follows:
    //ALLOC   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14,COND=(4,LE)
    //DD1      DD DSN=ISM.SMF.ZHAD011(+1),
    //           DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),UNIT=3390,
    //           SPACE=(CYL,(50,50))

The ALLOC step actually allocates GDG dataset GDG.DSNAME.G0002V00
Besides changing SMS or running two batch jobs, is there any way to
completely delete GDG.DSNAME(0) and allocate GDG.DSNAME(+1) where
GDG.DSNAME(+1) will remain with the name GDG.DSNAME.G0001V00