Tom Marchant's recent post says that my earlier post was incorrect.  It was
not.  His post that is the one that was incorrect, gratuitously and
provocatively.

Copied from the relevant current volume of z/OS MVS Authorized Assembler
Services:

The requirements for callers of ENQ are:
Minimum authorization: Problem state with any PSW key. For the SMC, ECB, TCB,
MASID, and MTCB parameters or when the specified qname
is SYSZ*, SYSCTLG, SYSDSN, SYSIEA01, SYSIEECT,
SYSIEFSD, SYSIGGV1, SYSIGGV2, SYSPSWRD,
SYSVSAM, or SYSVTOC. Authorization must be one of the
following:
v Supervisor state
v PSW key 0-7
v APF-authorized.

This is what I said substantively al.though not verbatim,  It amply confirms my
contention and amply refutes Mr Marchant's.

Things have been so in substance since I wrote my first ENQ in 1965, and I
expect them to remain so in the proximate future.

Mr Marchant would have done well to consult this manual before telling me that
I did not know what I was talking about.  My fuse is longer, and I suggest that
he take more care.  In the future I shall hold him to a very high standard
indeed.

John Gilmore