Yes.  And no issue these days on probably 95% + of all systems with
above the line either.  2G ain't what it used to be and with the size of
today's systems and paging subsystems, even if more than a few of
these ill-behaved programs all did the variable length getmains at the
same time you probably wouldn't notice.    Even my smallest system
has 1.5G of real storage and my smallest sandbox LPAR has 1G.

I still have my IEFUSI set with a default of 256M above, but anytime someone
asks for more, they can have it.  If they asks for 1G or more, they get
everything above the line (which ends up being about 1700M-1800M on
most of my systems).  My last real update was in 2005 for MEMLIMIT
(other than a slight change in 2007 for OA14391).   The next time I
do something with it, I'll probably just let all jobs/tasks get everything
above the line and remove the 256M default.

mailto:mzel...@flash.net

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 09:46:49 -0500, Veilleux, Jon L <veilleu...@aetna.com> wrote:

>The only problem with not limiting the region below is if you have a job
that does a variable length getmain to take all available storage and then
opens a lot of datasets you can get errors due to not enough below the line
space for LSQA for the dataset control blocks.

Of Larry Macioce
>Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:27 AM
>To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>Subject: Re: Default REGION Size
>
>What about region=0m??
>From what I remember it will take what is needed, the down side is if you
have something run away(loop) you might be in trouble.

to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html