From: "Edward Jaffe" <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 6:38:48 AM
Subject: Re: HFS file questions

On 2/14/2011 5:07 AM, Chase, John wrote:
> I won't presume to speak for Peter, but will say that you need not leave this
> list unless you're "fed up" with all the irrelevant BS that has attached to
> your questions in this thread.  The MVS-OE forum, as its name implies, is
> more centered around the UNIX side of z/OS, and has a MUCH higher
> signal-to-noise ratio than IBM-MAIN.

MVS-OE is where I go to discuss z/OS UNIX-related issues. It's a more targeted
discussion and the level of z/OS UNIX expertise there is higher than on
IBM-MAIN.

> It's sad that a very few knowledgeable and otherwise professional people here
> feel the need to engage in "pissing contests" over such insignificant
> minutiae as a perceived "malappropriation" of an overloaded acronym at the
> expense of someone who asks a legitimate question.

Most news readers and email clients allow you to manage so-called "kill" lists.
I use Mozilla Thunderbird. Its "Message Filters" feature can be easily set up
automatically direct messages from certain email addresses directly into the
Trash folder. And, the Trash can be emptied automatically on exit!

It's amazing how much "quieter" and more professional IBM-MAIN can be if you
filter out the mail from just three troublesome contributors. Of course, you
will still see their comments if others quote them; nothing is perfect. :-)

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc