Slow?  compared to what?  If my mainframe was ever "slow", I'd be complaining
about performance issues.  No cpu cycles?  Swapped out?  I do the bulk of my
largest REXX process during off peak hours, and processing 1 million 4096 VB
records usually takes 2-3 minutes.  I do not consider that slow (about 10,000
records every couple seconds).  Peak hours, maybe 10-12 minutes as my stuff
isn't production and gets a lower priority.

I find it helps helps to zero out each record after its processed if using stem
variables, and not using stemvars for large files, instead read/write one
record at a time.  Less region, less paging, less time swapped out.

If you're only doing 1 member, the JCL IEBGENER option would appear viable, but
if you're only doing 1 member, heck, just edit it.

Oh, I left out one very important to in the psycho code, do a DROP stemvar
after each write, otherwise, each member ends up having the same number of
records as its longest predecessor.  and if it needs to be said, don't
overwrite the input file...