You should be able to access the user interface through a browser and delete
the volumes, extent pools, ranks, etc.  When you perform those operations
the machine will format the disk drives.  As was suggested early on, you
also could change the extent pools, ranks, arrays from one format to the
other (Open to CKD).  That will most definitely cause a disk format and the
data will be gone.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:19:44 -0700, Nancy R. Brizuela <brizu...@uwyo.edu> wrote:

>Hi Catherine,
>
>I wish our 3rd party provider had their act together like yours.  I've
asked him several times for suggestions or approaches--he says he'll
research it, but then I never hear back!  Thanks for the thought,
though--you have a very helpful group here!

Of McBride, Catherine
>Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:40 PM
>To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>Subject: Re: Question about wiping a DS8100
>
>You may want to check with your 3rd party maintenance provider as well.
>We are in a similar situation as yours, and our 3rd party provider
>presented a few options.

Of Nancy R. Brizuela
>Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:34 PM
>To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>Subject: Re: Question about wiping a DS8100
>
>Thanks for such prompt responses, David, Claude, Mark, Ed, and Hal.   I
>neglected to mention that the DS8100 is no longer attached to a mainframe
and that we no longer have a CE.  Alas, our mainframe was shipped off in a
truck four or five years ago and a couple years ago our managers discovered
they could save a lot of money by gong with a 3rd party maintenance
provider, so we are no longer with IBM.  Nevertheless, this gives me some
good leads.  I'll contact my former CE and investigate some of the other
options.  Thanks so much!

using as a trade-in.  We need to make sure that all the data on this system
is erased before we ship it off.  Do any of you have any thoughts on how to
accomplish this at little or no expense?  Has anyone already dealt with this
issue?  Thanks!