Scott,
  I have read the various replies and no-one (that I see) has pointed out
that if you are using Enterprise COBOL 4.1, you are going about the task
"the hard way".  Enterprise COBOL (for several releases) has supported
"dynamic allocation" of files that does NOT require you to do explicit calls
to BPXWDYN.

Check out (for example),
  http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/IGY3LR50/4.2.3.1

and following.

Or
  http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg50/1.8.3

and the pages that it points to.

Once you switch to this technique, normal COBOL OPEN, CLOSE, etc statements
do what you will want them to.