I'd backtrace where those requests are coming from. talkd and fingerd are often
used to penetrate UNIX systems. They are likely coming from "outside" because
it is "inetd" which is invoking them. And why is inetd.conf set up to invoke
them in the first place? In my paranoid opinion, something is WRONG! The
example inetd.conf from IBM has those processes commented out. Perhaps whomever
implemented z/OS UNIX simply uncommented everything without a good
understanding of "minimal access". Neither one is necessary. fingerd is a
daemon which tell other UNIX systems who is logged onto your system. Not
something I want others to know! talkd is a daemon for "chatting" between UNIX
users (like using TSO SEND to send messages between TSO users). Again, not
needed, IMO. In the days of the kinder, gentler net, they were useful for
colleagues to talk.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV