On 03/03/2011 02:13 AM, ibmnew wrote:
> Hi all
>
>   We defined a VSAM file and a GDG base using a user id DBJMP05.
> The prefix of DBJMP05 is managed by SMS
> SMS routing
> SC :
>   FILTLIST TSOUSERS           INCLUDE(DBJMP*)
>
> WHEN&HLQ =&TSOUSERS
>           SET&STORCLAS = 'SCSTAND'
> SG:
> FILTLIST TSOUSERS           INCLUDE(DBJMP*)
>
> WHEN(&HLQ    =&TSOUSERS)     SET&STORGRP = 'SGTSO'
>
> Below is the JCL and the output of the JCL.
> 1. Define a VSAM : DBJMP05.BDZ3.MAN1
>     DEFINE CLUSTER( -
>       CONTROLINTERVALSIZE(4096) -
>       TRACKS(50) -
>       NAME(DBJMP05.BDZ3.MAN1) -
>       INDEXED -
>       RECORDSIZE(4086,32767) -
>       BUFFERSPACE(81920) -
>       REUSE -
>       SHAREOPTIONS(2) -
>       SPANNED -
>       SPEED )
>
> The return code is Zero
>
> 2.Define a base of GDG: DBJMP05.FAS.SE.FMLX.HIST
> DEFINE GDG (NAME(DBJMP05.FAS.SE.FMLX.HIST)                 -
>              LIMIT(03)                                      -
>              NOEMPTY                                        -
>              SCRATCH )
> The return is 12
>
> ICH408I USER(DBJMP05 ) GROUP(#TMPUG  ) NAME(APPL MAINTENANCE
>    CATALOG.PLEXBDZ3.TSO CL(DATASET ) VOL(BD3CT1)
>    INSUFFICIENT ACCESS AUTHORITY
>    FROM CATALOG.PLEXBDZ3.TSO (G)
>    ACCESS INTENT(UPDATE )  ACCESS ALLOWED(READ   )
>
> My question :
>
>   I want to know the reasons:
>   1. Why is it success when I define a vsam or PDS using prefix DBJMP05?
>   2.Why isnot it success when I define a base of GDG using prefix DBJMP05?
>   3.What is the difference  of them in the catalog
>
> Any suggestion would be helpful!
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Jason Cai

The answer is really quite simple, although perhaps counter-intuitive.
Only data sets are SMS controlled, thus the VSAM file is an SMS data
set, the GDG base is not.

 All SMS data sets must be cataloged in their alias-directed catalog;
therefore, except for the special case of the master catalog, z/OS
allows them to be cataloged in any user catalog to which they are
directed by defined alias definitions, bypassing any RACF access checks
on USERCAT catalog access in order to guarantee that cataloging can
occur and avoid unnecessary problems .  Master catalog access still
requires RACF access, since unless a mistake has been made, access to
any dataset HLQs that would map to master cat should be restricted to
SysProgs who should have access to master cat.

Since the GDG base is not an SMS dataset, RACF access checks on catalogs
are not bypassed and the user must have RACF UPDATE access to the
catalog.  Altering or creating catalog entries in a USERCAT, other than
those changes implied by the creation/deletion of SMS datasets, requires
UPDATE access to the catalog.

It used to be the case that RACF UPDATE access to all catalogs was
always required to make catalog changes. At somewhere along the line
this SMS exception was documented as an enhancement with MVS release
migration docs.
--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jcew...@acm.org
               Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org