On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Scott Chapman wrote:

> Kirk:
>
> I agree completely:
>
> This wasn't intended to be a benchmark, but rather a general indication
> that Java performance isn't necessarily completely outside the ballpark
> (not even in the same county) any more.  I think there's a general
> perception that Java is a horribly bloated mess that should be avoided
> whenever possible.  That was at least partly true 10 years ago, maybe
> less.  But it's a lot better today.  I can use JZOS (thanks!) to start the
> JVM and run a trivial JS script in less than a second today.  I remember
> when standing up a JVM took minutes!

Java, for me at least, is more like bloat on steroids (and fitted with few
extra boosters). Computers grew a bit during last 15 years so Java fits
better now compared to then. Which is not enough for me to consider it a
language of the future, though. At least I hope my future will be better
than this.

> The funny thing is I personally really don't like Java as a language,
> regardless of performance.  But I have excess zAAP capacity at the moment,
> so I'm looking at what it might be useful for.

Judging from the benchmark game, Java is very close to C on Intel
platform.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/which-programming-languages-are-fastest.$

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/which-programming-languages-are-fastest.p$

Having no mainframe at all, I am still interested if there are any
comparable efforts to benchmark languages on iron box. I don't care much
about Java, but there are other fine(r) languages and I simply wonder if
it makes sense to consider developing in them with mainframes in mind,
apart of other targets that could come to my mind (like Linux or Windows).
What languages interest me, at the moment - well, Python, Ruby, Perl, C
and Common Lisp, in no particular order. I am not equally versed in them
(C, CL and Py rank much higher then the rest so I would be more interested
in checking them first) and I do not necesarilly plan any development, so
this is just kind of ongoing research of options available.

If anyone here would like to try and do such benchmark, I guess the source
code from shootout benchmark can be used - I didn't munched their license
for very long but it seems to allow this.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/license.php

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/help.php

Myself, I probably can be of some help with resolving some issues
(obviously, not all of them, but if it is related to Linux, I can try).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **