In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 11/25/2005
   at 03:47 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> (1) Certificates of Deposit:  Certificates in my family's name were,
>without authorization, put in someone else's name, and ours replaced.
>The bank attributes this to a "computer error," without
>explanation.

Possible but not likely. My experience over decades has been that
99.44% of "computer errors" in accounts are either human errors or
fraud[1][2].

>(2) Home Mortgage:  Wells Fargo changed my home mortgage account,
>without consent, so that I was bumped from  "primary customer" to
>"additional customer," and the same stranger who appeared on the CD
>accounts became the "primary customer".

See above.

>(3) Home Equity Line of Credit: Wells Fargo says the same "computer
>error" caused the change in ownership by replacing my spouse s name
>with that of the person who appeared on the other accounts.

See above.

"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence." (Al
Miller)

My guess is that somebody made a systemic error. The fact that they
are relying on customers to catch problems is a red flag, and I would
be worried about the problems that nobody has noticed yet. In your
place I'd be writing the Fed and the local regulator agencies and
suggesting that an intensive audit is long overdue. Somebody was
asleep at the switch.

[1] But a well run bank would have trip-wires in place to catch
    embezzlement attempts, so it still gets back to incompetence or
    an unprecedented stream of bad luck.

[2] Some of the places using that excuse in the old days didn't even
    have a computer ;-)