Thanks to all who responded. You have been very helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Steve Comstock
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Free z/OS web server

On 3/9/2011 10:46 AM, Ward, Mike S wrote:
> Hello all, there is supposed to be a free web server with z/os. I'm at
> the V1.11 level of z/OS but I can't seem to find the web server. Can
> someone tell me if it's still a free product? Also where can I get it
if
> it's free?
>
> Thanks much.

As Mark mentioned, both the free HTTP server and the ported Apache HTTP
server are available (you have to order the Apache server, but it's
free).

The details on installation for the free server are found in
"z/OS HTTP Server Planning, Installing, and Using" (SC34-4826-09
or file name imwziu18.pdf on the IBM manuals site).

We set up a directory structure so we can run multiple servers
from a single spot, so we have

/web/Apache - for the IBM orderable Apache server
/web/httpd1 - for the free included HTTP server
/web/zAapache - for my ported version of the Apache server

You might find our little paper "Hosting a Web Site on z/OS - one
person's
experience" helpful in some of the later stage configuration and
testing.
Find it here:

   http://www.trainersfriend.com/Papers/Hosting_web_on_zos.pdf

(free, no registration or other information required
from you)

If you find you get this up and running and would like
some training in how to use this, we, of course, would
recommend some of our courses:

<ad>

Here's a quick summary of the courses we have available
for applications developers learning to work in the z/OS
UNIX world:

U-510 Introduction to z/OS UNIX - 3 Days
   * Basic concepts and vocabulary
   * Over 60 shell commands
   * Creating and working with directories and files
   * Using the free HTTP server to serve web pages from z/OS

details at:
   http://www.trainersfriend.com/UNIX_and_Web_courses/u510descr.htm

U-515 Shell Script Programming in z/OS UNIX - 3 days
   * Additional 60+ shell commands
   * Regular Expressions
   * Shell editors: ed and sed; optional: vi
      (one lab uses sed and scripts to convert
       a flat file into an HTML file)
   * Creating and running scripts
   * Running z/OS UNIX commands, scripts, and programs
     in batch

details at:
   http://www.trainersfriend.com/UNIX_and_Web_courses/u515descr.htm

U-518 You and z/OS and the World Wide Web - 5 days
   * HTML and XHTML
   * CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
   * ECMAScript (JavaScript)
   * DOM (Document Object Model)
   * Cookies
   * A peak at X/HTML 5
  - all from the perspective of the z/OS developer

details at:
   http://www.trainersfriend.com/UNIX_and_Web_courses/u518descr.htm

U-520 Developing Applications for z/OS UNIX - 3 days
   * Writing programs to run under the shell
       (Assembler, COBOL, PL/I, C: each student takes their pick)
   * Assembling / compiling / binding using shell commands
   * Callable services (BPX1...)
   * Make and makefiles

details at:
   http://www.trainersfriend.com/UNIX_and_Web_courses/u520descr.htm

There is also a series of courses for writing CGIs to run under z/OS
UNIX.

</ad>

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
   + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our new tool for calculating your Return On Investment
     for training dollars at
   http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html

==========================
solely for the use of the individual or entity
to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify the system manager. This message
contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in
reliance on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.