Ted MacNEIL wrote:

You work for big shops. Majority of mainframe

users is not sysplexed.
Probably almost every shop, even monplex use more than one systems (that's why we have LPARs). I don't think that is an accurate statement for North America. Most corporations that are still running Mainframes are running with a SYSPLEX.

Define big shop.
Here a 4000 MIPS shop is a small one.

The truth is best known to IBM, however we also know some numbers. In 1999 there were 1600 sysplex installations on the world (I read it in IBM paper). I don't know the number of mainframe installations, I vaguely recollect 10000, mentioned on this list. 10000 is much more than 1600. Oh, by the way: the same IBM document said, that only 600 of the 1600 sysplexes use datasharing (the rest is resource sharing). Probably vast majority of z/800's, z/890's and currently in use 9672's are not sysplexed. The same apply to FlexES "machines".

Or maybe we should make some survey, who is sysplexed ?
I can receive the mails off-list, and count votes as a volunteer.
If you want, tell me.

BTW: 4000 MIPS is not small in Poland. Only two shops are bigger. Only 5 shops are bigger than 1000 MIPS.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland