(Replying partially to my own question...)

On 3/17/2011 9:43 AM, Steve Comstock wrote:
On 3/17/2011 9:07 AM, john gilmore wrote:
Newbies will do what they can manage to understand; and
perhaps they can be induced to understand that even WTO
supports routing codes and the like that can make it
innocuous, in the sense that no consoles need be cluttered
when it is used.

[snip]

John Gilmore Ashland, MA 01721-1817 USA

I got to wondering about the above. An experiment confirms
that if you code a WTO with ROUTCDE=(11), the message still
appears on the console log as well as in the job output.

A little further reading reveals that routing codes 13-20 are
reserved for "customer use". Now the question: where is it
documented how a customer can use such a route code? I seem
to recall a doc called Routing Codes but I can't locate it
anymore, and I'm not sure if it would really contain the
information I'm after.

Doc is "z/OS MVS Routing and Descriptor Codes"; apparently
the last version is for z/OS 1.5.

As I suspected, it doesn't provide much useful information
(maybe why it's been discontinued).

Any clues / suggestions where to begin looking? BTW, I'm
looking for solutions that don't require any special
authorization, since this is intended for applications
developers.

Well, the Roting and Descriptor Codes doc does point
to some other docs including the Authorized Assembler
Services Reference and the Installation Exits books. I
guess you have to probably use some authorization to set
up using customer routing codes; I'm OK with that. I'll
explore a little further, but any pointers from those of
you with some experience here would be appreciated.

Just a little project.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our new tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html