Hello,

we (suddenly) feel the need to give our large insurance math package,
which is written in C, to a fellow company, so that they can use it, too.

The problem is: the math package needs to do fopen to get access to
some large (kind of) database files, where it gets its calculation base
informations from. Now we are told, that doing fopen below CICS
is a problem. We are no CICS wizards, because we are an IMS shop -
and we are using other techniques in "our" mainframe environment
to do the same thing (a table system using dataspaces, or DB2), but
these techniques are not present in the fellow companies environment,
so we tried the fopen solution in the first turn.

We also could put all the information in a very large static array,
but this would be many megabytes, and this doesn't seem very
reasonable to us.

My CICS experience dates back to mid 90s. Could some CICS experts
out there briefly outline some kind of solution, which might not involve
too much changes on our side and not too much configuration effort on
the CICS side? VSAM? DB2? Communication with another address space,
which holds the data?

Kind regards

Bernd