"Richard Pinion" <rpin...@netscape.com> wrote in message news:<listserv%201103211201484935.1...@bama.ua.edu>...
I recently upgraded from z/OS 1.10 to 1.12.  I am receiving the following
messages when running tape jobs.  This didn't happen on 1.10.  I've looked
through the RMM 1.12 manuals and the migration documentation.  I don't
understand why this is happening.  To get around the volume being
rejected , I put RMM in warning mode.

EDG4035I VOLUME 050011 REJECTED. VOLUME IS SCRATCH AND OUTPUT
NOT TO FIRST FILE
EDG4004I **WARNING** USE OF 050011 BY H12166, STEP15, SYSUT2
ONLY PERMITTED BECAUSE DFSMSrmm RUNNING IN WARNING MODE.

This is the JCL that is running when I receive the warning messages.

//STEP15 EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSIN      DD DUMMY
//SYSPRINT   DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT1     DD DSN='IVE.CASEUSER.CART',DISP=SHR,
//           UNIT=580,
//           VOL=(,RETAIN,SER=(H12166,H12180,H12222)),
//           LABEL=(2,SL)
//SYSUT2     DD DSN='IVE.CASEUSER.CART',
//           DISP=(,KEEP,DELETE),
// VOL=SER=050011,
//           LABEL=(2,SL),
//           UNIT=581

Richard,

Putting RMM in WARNING mode after going to PROTECT mode can be a big mistake. WARNING mode can change options like UNCATALOG for scratch tapes and SMSTAPE options if you use IBM tape libraries, as well as change exit actions like EDGUX100, CBRUXENT, etc. I would recommend putting RMM back in PROTECT mode and fixing the problem. Why do you want to write a 2,SL file to a scratch tape? This has never been allowed in RMM AFAIK. Do all your tape jobs hardcode the volsers? Why not just use the catalog? Am I missing something here?

Regards,
Tom Conley