ps2...@yahoo.com (Ed Gould) writes:
> Lyn:
>
> I bow to your expertize and have not read your paper on the 3725.
>
> My sort of well lets say home grown experience with trial and error (sigh a
> lot
> of errorr).
> Gut instinct said the limiting factor was the byte channel (which I
> understood)
> was the vast majority of channel hook ups for the box.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#31 "Social Security Confronts IT
Obsolescence"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#35 junking CKD; was "Social Security
Confronts IT Obsolescence"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#37 junking CKD; was "Social Security
Confronts IT Obsolescence"

you must have strayed from the archived ckd/eckd posts into archived
sna/vtam misinformation thread (in a.f.c. newsgroup):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#32 SNA/VTAM Misinformation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#34 SNA/VTAM Misinformation

the above also references more in (linkedin) "Greater IBM" group thread.

note that in the above ... series/1 NCP emulation involved a channel
interface board that attached to mainframe on same exact channel as 3725
and appeared to the mainframe exactly as a 3725 (slight of hand was that
it told all the mainframes that resources were cross-domain ... "owned"
by somebody else). Since the interface board and channel appeared
identical ... then any related limitation was identical for 3725 and
series/1.

slight topic drift ... long ago and far away ... there was an internal
effort to convince the communication group to use "peachtree" (processor
for series/1) as being significantly more capable than the processor
chosen for 37x5.

additional topic drift ... even longer ago, as undergraduate in the 60s
... i added tty/ascii terminal support to cp67. cp67 had 1052 & 2741
support with fancy automatic terminal recognition ... fancy use of 2702
SAD command to re-associate different line-scanner to port. I then
intergrated TTY/ASCII ... supporting automatic terminal identification
(and re-associating different line-scanner with 2702 SAD command).  It
worked fine for leased line ... but i wanted to do single dial-up phone
number (& hunt group) for all dial-up terminals ... where it
broke. While 2702 allowed changing line-scanner on port ... 2702 took
shortcut and hardwired oscillator/line-speed on each port. This was
somewhat the motivation for the univ. to start clone controller project,
reverse engineering mainframe channel interface, building mainframe
channel board for interdata/3 and programming interdate/3 to simulate
2702 ... but also doing automatic line-speed operation. four of us get
written up as being responsible for (some part of) clone controller
business ... misc. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

decade or so ago, was in large datacenter with a many generation
descendent of that box handling large percentage of dial-up POS
cardswipe terminals in the country ... claim was that the channel
interface board hadn't changed ... although it was a many times
descendent of interdate/3 (including name change when perkin/elmer
bought interdata).