From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C]
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:46 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: HSM Compaction question(s)

The system I inherited has compaction turned on for Dasdmigrate and Dasdbackup.
We notice spikes in CPU utilization during HSM Migration whether it is manual
or interval. Since we have DASD in abundance while CPU cycles are sometimes in
short supply, I'm considering turning off compaction to save on overhead.

My question to the group is whether the HSM users out there have compaction
turned on or not and if yes what is your COMPACTPERCENT setting?
Does anyone know of any downsides to turning off compaction, other than a
larger ML1 pool?

David O'Brien
NIH Contractor