Are you using an IBM VTS or a VTL.  We are using a VTL and with this it is
setup as a manual tape library and you don't need the VOLCAT when restoring
from the starter system. You just use your tape name and the volume and it
will find it like a real tape.  The VTS is more complicated and when we had
that we used real tape to recover and then setup the VTS with our own blank
tapes put into it for new write only.  We never brought the real tapes from
the VTS and set it up. Hope this helps.