Sorry, I should have been more thorough in my first message.

>From my linux workstation, I can sftp all day.  In zOS, I cannot establish
an sftp session in what the zOS Ported Tools manual calls "interactive mode"
under the uss shell.  (sftp can not be executed under OMVS, according to the
error message stating so when that attempt is made.)  My question is simply
how do I enter into this "interactive mode" with sftp (ssh) using the uss
shell?   I need to be prompted for a password under zOS as in Linux.

Note the differences in the debug log between my linux ws and zOS...

LINUX ws:

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,password
debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /home/bubbajoe/.ssh/id_rsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/bubbajoe/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/bubbajoe/.ssh/id_dsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/bubbajoe/.ssh/id_dsa
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred: ,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: Next authentication method: password
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:

(NOTE WE HAVE A PASSWORD PROMPT)

zOS under USS shell:

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password.
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,password.
debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password.
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey.
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password.
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey.
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey.
debug1: Trying private key: /SSHROOT/jivey/.ssh/id_rsa.
debug3: no such identity: /SSHROOT/jivey/.ssh/id_rsa.
debug1: Trying private key: /SSHROOT/jivey/.ssh/id_dsa.
debug3: no such identity: /SSHROOT/jivey/.ssh/id_dsa.
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method.
debug3: authmethod_lookup password.
debug3: remaining preferred: ,password.
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password.
debug1: Next authentication method: password.
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 52 padlen 12 extra_pad 64).
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply.
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password.
Permission denied, please try again..
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 52 padlen 12 extra_pad 64).
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply.
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey.
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey.
debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password.
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey.
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password.
debug1: No more authentication methods to try..
Permission denied (publickey)..
Connection closed.

NOTE WE DO NOT RECEIVE A PASSWORD PROMPT, yet it appears a password is being
sent, hence no "interactive mode".   How do I enter a password on zOS
without it being interactive??

Thanks,
Joel
SC Employment Security Commission