timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com (Timothy Sipples) writes:
> I've known HP in its sales pitches to make a lot of fuss about
> endianness as reason why it would be oh-so-difficult for an HP-UX
> customer to move to Linux on X86, or for a Linux X86 customer to move
> to (or add) Linux on System z, depending on their sales
> situation. Then hundreds/thousands of HP customers moved without
> endianness difficulty, and many more will follow.  The IT community
> figured out how to flip bit order a long time ago. Before System/360,
> even. That's not to say endianness isn't a problem...for HP. If they
> want to move HP-UX to a little endian CPU, they'll have a lot of
> investment to do (as Sun did for Solaris X86). For non-OS
> kernel/non-compiler programmers, which is the vast majority of us,
> it's not a real-world problem. In fact, endianness is one of the least
> interesting issues when porting from one CPU to another.

re
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#7 New job for mainframes: Cloud platform
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#9 New job for mainframes: Cloud platform

when I was undergaduate in the 60s, some people from the science center
came out and installed (virtual machine) cp67 on the 360/67 (as
alternative to tss/360). cp67 had "automatic" terminal identification
for 1052 & 2741 ... playing games switching the line-scanners with the
2702 SAD command. The univ. had bunch of TTY/ascii terminals ... so I
set out to add TTY/ascii support also doing automatic terminal
identification. It almost worked ... being able to dynamically identify
1052, 274, & TTY for directly/fixed connect lines.

I had wanted to have a single dial-up number for all termainls ... with
"hunt-group" ... allowing any terminal to come in on any port. The
problem was that the 2702 took a short-cut and hardwired the line-speed
for each port. This somewhat prompted the univ. to do a clone controller
effort ... to dynamically do both automatic termeinal & automatic speed
determination (reverse engineer channel interface, build controller
interface board and program minicomputer to emulate 2702).

Two early "bugs" that stick in my mind ...

1) the 360/67 had high-speed
location 80 timer ... and if the channel interface board held the memory
bus for two consecutive timer-tics (a timer-tic to update location 80
was stalled because memory bus was held ... and the next timer-tic
happened while the previous timer-tic was still pending), the processor
would stop & redlight

2) initial data into memory was all garbage. turns out had overlooked
bit memory order. minicomputer convention was leading (byte) bit off the
line started off into high-order (byte) bit position ... while 2702
line-scanner convention was to place leading (byte) bit off the line in
the lower order (byte) bit position. while the minicomputer then was
placing data into memory in line-order bit positiion ... each byte had
the bit order reversed compared to the 2702 convention (standard 360
ascii translate tables that I had borrowed from BTAM handled the 2702
bit-reversed bytes).

... later, four of us get written up for being responsible for some
portion of the mainframe clone controller business. A few years ago, in
large datacenter, I ran across a descendent of our original box,
handling a major portion of the dial-up POS cardswipe terminals in the
country (some claim that it still used the original channel interface
board design).

I had posted same cloud item in a number of linkedin mainframe group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#6 New job for mainframes: Cloud platform
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#8 New job for mainframes: Cloud platform
also
http://lnkd.in/F6X_3Y

also refers to internal (virtual machine) HONE system being the largest
"cloud" operation in the 70s & 80s. In the mid-70s, the US HONE
datacenters were consolidated in silicon valley ... where it created the
largest single-system-image cluster operation. Then in the early 80s,
because of earthquake concerns, it was replicated in Dallas ... with
distributed, load-balancing and fall-over between Dallas & PaloAlto
... eventually growing to 28 3081s. misc. past posts mentioning HONE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

HONE also discussed in this linkedin Greater IBM (current & former IBM
employee) group about APL software preservation (major portion of HONE
applications supporting worldwide sales & marketing had been implemented
in APL; numerous HONE-clones all around the world):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#83 History of APL -- Software
Preservation Group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#3 History of APL -- Software
Preservation Group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#10 History of APL -- Software
Preservation Group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#11 History of APL -- Software
Preservation Group

another cloud related item:

Facebook Opens Up Its Hardware Secrets; The social network breaks an
unwritten rule by giving away plans to its new data center--an action it
hopes will make the Web more efficient
http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/37317/?p1=MstRcnt&a=f

for "HONE" related trivia ... the silicon valley HONE datacenter; do
online satellite map search for Facebook's silicon valley address
... the bldg. next to it was the HONE datacenter (although the bldg. has
a different occupant now).