On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:02:36 +0100, R.S. wrote:

>Tom Schmidt wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:05:54 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:
>>>Walt, I think the message from the customers is that they would be happy
>>>to accept "your gun, your bullet, your foot." Customers want these
>>>symbols available. If they have a Sysplex and set the dates very
>>>differently, well then, they may see some odd date things happening.
>>
>> Anyone wishing to use system symbols in JCL can implement JES/SMF exit(s)
>> to process the system symbols in batch job JCL on a site-by-site basis.
>> Those folks willing to sacrifice their own limbs are (or ought to be)
>> capable of doing so today.  (Why wait?)
>>
>> You could, if you really want to chop off whole legs or arms, even define
>> user symbols for your site or go completely nuts and override the system
>> symbols with user symbols in the exit(s).
>>
>> All of this is documented (thanks, IBM) in the MVS Assembler Services
>> Guide and the MVS Assembler Services Reference Volume 1 (see ASASYMBM
>> service).
>
>Yes, sure, many problems can be solved by coding exits. Every shop will
>have their own (we don't like standarization).

We can't standardize the symbol processing in MAS sites today -- that's the
core issue (which was discussed on ibm-main, what, 6-9 years ago??).  But
each site also has systems programmers being paid, presumably, to program
something.  Each site has its own particular needs, and small sites (who
want to stay small) can decide for themselves how they want to "fix" the
problem... then go ahead and fix it now.  (No more complaining to IBM or
ibm-main.)

>But seriously: times are a changin, CICS sysprogs no longer compile the
>tables, RACF admins no longer need to code ICHRCDE, there are no SYSCAT
>or MSTJCL members in NUCLEUS, HCD is used instead of IOCP coding...

I'm a CICS sysprog now (among other hats) and I do still compile some of
the tables (because CICS/TS hasn't replaced them all yet).  I've been a
RACF sysprog and coded ICHRCDE macros, too.  And I've done IOCP (and HCD)
coding... I don't miss much of the things that were 'improved' because,
basically, the improvements were real enough and I had other fish to fry.

I just don't see a need for small sites to whine about 'missing function'
when they are capable of supplying it for themselves today.

(I'm pretty sure that a version of IEFUSI is available on the cbttape site
that does something like this, if you want 'standardized' function.)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI