Sounds like you are not setting up your test system like your production
system to me.  Until you tackle the differences between the systems and
either keep track of the differences and create a procedure to deal with
them or resolve them to allow for smooth maintenance, there are always going
to be unknowns and surprises.

Of course you can just mount your root READ-ONLY and any truly goofy stuff
will disappear ... forcing you to plan your changes and mount points well in
advance.

Rob Schramm

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM, SAURABH KHANDELWAL <
saurabh.khandel...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>           I have followed the suggested way to make copy root file system
> before applying service.
>
>           But we have couple of z/OS running with same version of OS level
> (example z/OS 1.8). In this we have test system, where we apply RSU and test
> it. We also have couple of production system with same OS level. In
> production system there might be changes in sub directories and Symbolic
> link.
>
> So the problem is, If I just copy the root file system from test system to
> production system after applying service on test root file system, there
> might be a chances to loose some symbolic link and sub directories.
>
> The solution which I can think of is, manually checking each of the
> production system and note all the sub directories and symbolic detail.
>
> Is there any other way, which can reduce my lots of manual effort and make
> process easy.
>

> Regards
> Saurabh Khandelwal
>
> On 4/12/2011 10:57 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
>
>> In<4da33ed7.9090...@oracle.com>, on 04/11/2011
>>    at 11:18 PM, SAURABH KHANDELWAL<saurabh.khandel...@oracle.com>
>> said:
>>
>>            Can you please suggest me , what approach I should follow
>>> before applying RSU to make sure, everything will work in root file
>>> system after that.
>>>
>> How was your system originally installed? How was the last service
>> done? In paricular, is your root the original target or a copy?
>>
>> As others have pointed out, you should never install service on the
>> running system. You should have a deployment plan for either rotating
>> among a set of target libraries or for cloning target libraries,
>> including Unix file systems.

Rob Schramm
Senior Systems Engineer

w: 513.305.6224